A sewing machine is used to sew fabric and material together with thread. Nowadays, it has become an essential need for all the families and people usually get confused in buying the best one.
The market is full of different brands of such products and it becomes very difficult to choose the best one among them. At such a young age, children easily pick up new skills and try to make it better too. Choosing the best sewing machine for kids can be a tricky job because there are many machines which come with many varied features.
Learning to sew is such a skill which will be cherished for life because every child becomes dependent on these small tasks like stitching, sewing etc, on other people. This skill will not only help them to make and mend their own clothes and accessories, but they can do other works as well.
For kids, the machine should be easy-to-use, lightweight, reliable and affordable. A number of machines are mentioned for children because of their small size but still they are not mainly designed for the kids and they need much care before using it.
In future, these children can easily do these sort of small jobs on their own and it will make them self-dependent.
Types of Sewing Machines
There are mainly six types of sewing machines which are used for the domestic purposes such as:
- Mechanical Types Sewing Machines
- Electronic Sewing Machines
- Automated Sewing Machines
- Embroidery Machines
- Quilting Machines
- Overlocking or Server Machines
Mechanical Sewing Machine: These are one of the most basic of all the sewing machines and can be used easily. It is either operated with a handle and turning wheel to drive the needle and make the stitches, or it may be a treadle machine.
They were often attached to their tables and the machines were made of metal and built up last. They only did a straight stitch.
Electronic Sewing Machine: They have many options and the advantage of being electrically operated. There are many brands which provide different stitches and stitch length. These machines will straight stitch, zigzag and have some decorative stitches.
There may even be a buttonhole option. The functions are accessed by a knob rather than an electrical computerized panel.
Automated Sewing Machine: These are the most upgraded with different technologies to make it a better one. The machine often has an LCD screen display, automatic needle threading, and even embroidery stitches. They will make buttonholes and have built-in stitch programs.
These machines are more machines, they are sturdy and long-lasting. Many companies usually offer lessons to learn and warranties on these high-ranking machines.
Embroidery Machines: The machine will have access to built-in designs and a memory facility to store designs. The USB port on this machine enables the embroider to access other designs and import them into the memory of the machine. They are actually perfect for making a lot of embroideries.
These machines are on the higher end of the price range and some can be many thousand dollars.
Quilting Sewing Machine: These are mainly recommended if you plan to make large quilts. It has a longer arm allowing greater volumes of fabric to pass through the machine. It is able to sew through thicker quantities of fabric.
The feed of the machine ensures steady and even sewing as the fabrics are held in place.
Overlocking Sewing Machine: Basically, it is the perfect machine for sewing stretch knits and fleece for active sportswear. The overlocker may come with three or four threads. It has the ability to sew, trim and oversew the edges of seams.
These can be used for neatening edges and it creates a really professional look.
Points to Keep In Mind Before Buying Sewing Machine
There are many factors which we should consider before buying sewing machines for kids and some of the points which need to be cared, are mentioned below:
Stitch Selection: A child will only use 10-15 stitches variables during his early learnings and buying a machine with extra stitch types will be useless.
Just make sure that while you choose the perfect one, it has all the basic stitches required in your child’s sewing process.
Speed Control: We should choose a machine which allows your kid to control its speed according to your kid’s feasibility. A push-button speed control will be easier for the infants than the pedal-controlled pedals.
Feet Set-Up: This is one of the most important parts of a machine. While some machines come down with the silkiest of touches, few machines are inherited with the snap-on feet that securely stay abode in place.
In case of fear about the machine running over your child’s fingers accidentally, you can go out for the feet that are attached to the screws.
Bobbin Winder: We should go for the machine in which finding bobbin winder is easy enough. Also make sure that your child’s fingers fit in effortlessly. The winding process should be designed in such a way that your child doesn’t have a problem with the process. Otherwise, it will be very irritating for the child.
Thread Feeder: The newest machines with auto-thread feeder would be most loved by the young sewing enthusiasts. For any seamstress, it is the most intriguing part of the sewing process. If it takes too long to get the thread on the needle, your child might drop his/her wonderful hobby of sewing.
Push Start/Stop Button: This choice while buying totally depends on your child’s comfort levels. If he/she is better with pedaling then it is not advisable to change his/her style of sewing by getting a push-button model. However, most of the kids use the latest automatic one.
Top 7 Best Sewing Machine for Kids in Canada
1. NEX Sewing Machine Children Present Portable Machine
This sewing machine has 12 stitches to meet your different needs of DIY sewing. It can seam, hem, button holding etc. It is mainly good for all the beginners and different speeds to ensure safety. This multi-purpose sewing machine comes with 12 built-in stitch patterns, perfect for many home sewing projects such as altering and creating clothing, crafting, quilting etc.
- Features: It is a lightweight, portable and space-saving, light bulb for work space illumination, sew with DC 6V battery with foot pedal.
- Functions: It can sew sleeves, including all-purpose presser foot replacement holders and can easily do forward and reverse sewing. It has a built-in carry handle and is easy to carry from one place to another.
- Dimensions: The size of the machine is 10.8 * 4.8 * 10.2 inches and we should read the instructions carefully before operating the machine. It weighs around 5 Pounds. You should ensure the direction of the needle and the winding is fluent before sewing.
- Other Facilities: It also has a drawer included in it which consists of built-in measuring tape and tension adjuster. It also has a built-in sewing light which includes a thread cutter with two speeds of high & low.
- This sewing machine can go in reverse also, so there is no need to change the direction of cloth, easy to use.
- It also comes with a LED light bulb, as a supplement to work lights. Scissors make it easy to cut the thread.
- It has a portable size with a foot pedal and is perfect for daily sewing. Just perfect for all the beginners to learn sewing and stitching from it.
- It has two speeds designed for beginners and it is not only a study of sewing, but also a happy time full of fun. These sewing machines will be an expression of goodwill.
- Most of the material is of plastic and rather than having speed settings for the foot pedal it has 3 settings; foot pedal, then low and high in which the machine sews without pressing the pedal.
2. Singer M1500 Sewing Machine
The Singer M1500 sewing machine is lightweight and portable, making this one a great choice for taking to sewing class or for sewing in smaller spaces. It also has preset stitch length and width, even beginners will find this machine super easy to use.
It also has sew fashions, piece quilts, create crafts or do simple mending. It has features including 6 built-in stitches, an automatic 4-step buttonhole, and a heavy duty metal frame which make fashion sewing and other creative projects fun and easy.
- Features: It has basic stitches for key sewing techniques. The straight stitch in 3 sizes, zigzag in 3 sizes, blind hem stitch, multi-step zigzag, decorative scallop and a four-step buttonhole.
- Quality Material: It has a heavy duty metal frame which makes the machine remain still for skip-free sewing. Depending on your fabric and thread selection, the Thread Tension Dial can be used to fine-tune the look of your stitch as desired.
- Ease of Working: It also has simple-to-follow threading guides for winding the bobbin and threading the upper thread are conveniently marked directly on the machine.
- Dimensions: The size of the machine is 13 * 7 * 11.5 centimetres and requires battery usage of 72 Watts.
- It is very lightweight and easy to use for all the beginners too. Great value for what paid on it because it lasts for a very long time.
- It has different types of built-in stitching techniques to get a better result out of it.
- The set up is very simple and frustration-free. It has an adjustable stitch length and width which didn’t make it very confusing and messed up.
- The motor used in the machine is definitely intended for very light sewing and would not have the oomph to handle something heavier like machine quilting or thick denim seams.
3. Brother XM2701 Lightweight, Full-Featured Sewing Machine
This Brother machine is perfect for multiple everyday sewing projects. It features a full range of user-friendly features and a lightweight design, the Brother XM2701 is perfect for beginners who are learning to sew and more advanced sewers who are looking for versatility.
This sewing machine offers 27 built-in stitches including blind hem, decorative and quilting stitches with an automatic one-step buttonholer for virtually perfect buttonholes.
- Accessories: It has unique 27 built-in stitches, including decorative, blind hem, zigzag and stretch stitches and one-step auto-size buttonholer.
It also has 6 included quick-change sewing feet, with buttonhole, zipper, zigzag etc.
- Features: Ease of use features include built-in needle threader, jam-resistant top drop-in bobbin and brightly lit LED work area. It is easy to use, value-packed and versatile, perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects.
- Benefits: Users will enjoy the ease of sewing cuffs, sleeves, and pant legs with the built-in free arm. This affordable Brother machine is backed by a 25-year limited warranty along with free customer phone and online technical support for the life of the product.
- Structure: It is perfect for everyday sewing projects. It also features a full range of user-friendly and a lightweight design, it is perfect for beginners who are learning to sew and more advanced sewers who are looking for easy portability.
- This sewing machine was designed with LED lights to brighten your work area to see your creation clearly.
- This machine has 27 built-in stitches which makes it perfect for a wide range of projects. Selecting your stitch is as easy as turning the dial.
- The exclusive Brother Quick-set top drop-in bobbin helps ensure your bobbin stays in place, and helps provide the level of reliability, even the stitch quality you need.
- At many places, plastic parts and attachments like the cover for the bobbin is a flimsy plastic thing which can be seen breaking easily.
4. Joypea Mini Portable Sewing Machine for Kids
This is a mini portable sewing machine which can be used to either select the pedal switch or the push button switch. Its ability to sew most fabrics allows it to be one of the best choices you can make. The machine has two speeds, night light and could be easily controlled by power button or a foot pedal.
This machine is a basic level machine which is perfect for all the beginners to learn stitchings. It doesn’t reverse and it has a straight stitch only.
- Portable Mini Size: This portable sewing machine is lightweight and can be put into your shoulder bag, easy for carrying, just take to anywhere you want. This mini sewing machine will be a great choice to sew some daily little projects.
- Foot Pedal Operation: This electrical sewing machine with foot pedal makes your concentration for sewing with both hands and control the speed with foot pedal. It also supports the battery supply for outdoor use.
- Automatic Bobbin Rewinding: It has a built-in winding pole and spool assist to rewind the bobbins when you turn on the machine, easy for bobbins replacement.
- Double Switch and Two-Line Design: This unique sewing machine features two-line design which gives you high-quality sewing for all projects. It gives you a perfect sewing experience.
- Dimensions: The size of the machine are 23.01 * 23.01 * 14 cm and weighs around 1.01 kgs.
- It works good to sew most materials and in the test also, it is found that it’s powerful enough to sew 4 layers of denim.
- The machine has two speeds, night light and could be easily controlled by a power button or a foot pedal.
- It is very easy for bobbins replacement and while sewing, both hands get concentrated and speed gets controlled with Foot Pedal.
- It is perfect for beginners and can easily finish all the small projects with it.
- The plastic product used in it might let you feel that the quality is cheap and can be broken easily.
5. Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine
The CS6000i Sewing Machine offers a wide range of sewing and quilting features, all at a price that’s easy on your budget. You can select from 60 built-in sewing stitches, including decorative stitches and 7 styles of one-step buttonholes. It also uses the detachable, oversized table for larger projects and take your machine with you to classes with the included hard carry case. It is designed for ease of use, with its easy-to-view backlit LCD display, automatic needle threader, easy-to-follow threading diagrams and adjustable sewing speed control.
- Features: You can select stitches and adjust stitch length and width via settings seen on the LCD display. The Stop/Start button allows use without included foot control. It has variable speed control for easily adjusting your sewing speed.
- Perfect for Beginners: It is a versatile, value-packed machine which is packed for a wide range of sewing and quilting projects. Accessories are stored inside a compartment on the arm of the sewing machine.
- Bobbin Quality: It is jam-resistant and quick-set top drop-in bobbin makes setting and accessing your bobbin thread a breeze. No more fishing for your bobbin thread and accessories are also stored in a compartment on the arm of the machine.
- Company Support: The bilingual user manual will be provided with 25-year limited warranty on the machine. Free phone support for the life of the product. They also do not recommend using this machine in countries that do not support 120V AC even if a voltage adapter is in use.
- There is very easy threading and with the touch of a button, you’ll select your stitch, and then see the stitch you’ve chosen on the convenient LCD display screen.
- The stitch speed slide gives you control over how fast or slow you want to sew.
- It is designed for quilts and other larger projects, the oversized table gives you the extra space you need to maneuver your project while you work.
- The brightly lit sewing area is especially useful when sewing on dark fabrics.
- There can be some difficulty in going through the seams of jeans even after using the recommended needle size. The automatic threader doesn’t work all the time, and has to give it an extra push to the left side but perfect for all the beginners.
6. Singer 4423 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
This Singer heavy duty sewing machine is a true workhorse with a heavy duty metal interior frame, stainless steel bedplate, extra-high sewing speed and powerful motor. The convenient features include an automatic needle threader, top drop-in bobbin, fully automatic 1-step buttonhole and drop feed for free motion sewing adds a new dimension of ease to heavy duty sewing.
This machine is easy-to-use and versatile. Its automatic needle threader is sewings’ biggest timesaver, and the machine’s 1,100 stitches per-minute speed allows you to bring your creative ideas to life quickly.
- Speed: This machine has extra-high sewing speed of 1100 stitches per minute gives you professional speed for faster results.
- Quality Material: It has a heavy duty interior metal frame which ensures that the machine remains still for skip-free sewing. It also has a stainless steel bed plate which provides smooth fabric feed for even sewing.
- Accessories: It provides 23 built-in stitches, essential, stretch, decorative and many more. It also has 1 automatic 4-step buttonhole.
- Dimensions: The size of the machine are 39.37 * 15.88 * 30.48 cm and weighs around 6.58 kilograms.
- Boasting a stronger motor than conventional sewing machines, sewing up to 1100 stitches per minute allows you to finish projects in less time than a conventional sewing machine.
- The internal skeleton of the sewing machine consists of a Heavy Duty Metal Frame that holds all the mechanisms in perfect alignment for skip-free sewing and overall durability.
- It has a convenient drop-in bobbin which is easy to insert and remove. The clear view cover makes it easy to monitor the bobbin thread supply.
- After effortlessly threading the machine, this feature automatically threads the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration.
- The self threader is a bit of a difficult task and it could not sew through velcro.
7. Varmax Mini Sewing Machine with Extension Table
This basic sewing machine comes with one straight line stitching, designed to support some small stuff or simple sewing. It becomes more useful due to its exquisite design, such as built-in lamp and thread cutter.
It is suitable for kids and the beginners due to its proper size. This machine guarantees the sufficient light source and demand for cutting thread. It also features an extension table, which makes sewing smooth and stable.
- Mini-Size & Compact: As a space saver, this sewing machine is an elaborate and mini-size sewing machine. The advanced and high-cost machines are more elaborate on manufacturing.
- Large Extension Table: It is equipped with a large extension table, which makes it more convenient to work on large projects, and also keep the mini machine more stable during sewing.
- Double Threads and Two Speed Control: Double thread stitching make it easy to finish sewing without knotting. Low/high speed button is equipped for selection to keep safe and powerful.
- Sewing Sleeves & Trousers: Special cuff slot is designed for sleeves and trouser legs sewing. Furthermore, it is equipped with built-in light to provide an adequate light source during sewing.
- It is perfect to sew some small or simple stuff with this machine.
- The large extension table provides more convenience to work on large projects, and keep the machine more stable during sewing.
- The two speed controls also provide it much better ease and the speed button is equipped for selection to keep safe and powerful.
- The thread tensioner is a bit tricky and while sewing, it seems to pull too hard at times, but you can’t adjust the tension by pulling the thread.
BEST SEWING MACHINE
Looking at all the features and price range, we got Brother XM2701 Lightweight, Full Featured Sewing Machine is the best one among all. It provides all the effective features to get better results while sewing or stitchings.
It is perfect for beginners who are learning to sew and more advanced sewers who are looking for versatility.
The exclusive Brother Quick-set top drop-in bobbin helps ensure bobbin stays in place, and helps provide the level of reliability, even the stitch quality you need. This sewing machine offers 27 built-in stitches including blind hem, decorative and quilting stitches with an automatic one-step buttonholer for virtually perfect buttonholes.
BEST SEWING MACHINE (CHEAP & BEST)
Comparing all the machines in a fixed price range, we got Singer M1500 Sewing Machine as the cheap and best one which provides all the essential features in it.
The Singer M1500 sewing machine is lightweight and portable, making this one a great choice for taking to sewing class or for sewing in smaller spaces. It also has preset stitch length and width, even beginners will find this machine super easy to use. The set up is very simple and frustration-free. It has an adjustable stitch length and width which didn’t make it very confusing and messed up.
It is very lightweight and easy to use for all the beginners too. Great value for what paid on it because it lasts for a very long time.
So, without thinking much you can easily opt for it as a better choice for your child.
Giving our precious time and a lot of effort, we have maintained this list of best sewing machines for your kids for pre-learning at such a young age. This article will surely help you to choose the best one out of it, according to your child’s needs and the requirements.
All these machines are separated in this list because they provide all the essential features and got excellent responses from the customers.
Hope that it helps!!