Unlike the normal student laptop, the selection for an engineering laptop is not based only on performance or low cost. Software engineers need lots of power in their system to run heavy software like AUTOCAD or MATLAB. Thus a strong core is mandatory for their laptops. Hence, they need a powerful graphics card to perform high-level computational tasks.
It is important to keep in mind that these laptops are for students so they have to be budget-friendly as well. Students are not budget-friendly when it comes to a laptop. Thus they look for high-performance laptops at the lowest costs. Keeping their needs in mind, more and more laptops are being designed with a powerful core and low budget.
Other than the performance of the system, there are some other vital points too that have to be kept in mind. Battery life is a top-notch priority as well when it comes to laptops for engineering students. They do not want their laptops to be switched off in the middle of a lecture. Moreover, they also need to move from one place to another. For example, they go to classes and then to seminars. They also need to set up their laptops in a coffee house or canteen. Thus all these factors also have to be kept in mind.
What is a Laptop?
A laptop, also known as a notebook is just a smaller and portable computer. It has a screen and a keyboard. In a single device, all the components of computers are fitted. The CPU and other bulky hardware are replaced with smaller versions and integrated into a single system. It can be taken to various environments and can be used to work, listen to music, play games, etc. It is capable of doing everything that a computer does. There is also a charger with an adapter that comes with a laptop set to charge the laptop whenever the battery is low. Initially, laptops were less powerful than computers but now, manufacturing advances have made it almost at par with computer systems. Most of the laptops generally contain I/O ports, USB ports, webcams with mics, and other options as well. Laptops are thus more convenient than traditional desktops. Thus, often laptops cost higher than their counter desktops. But with cutting-edge technology, laptops are getting cheaper day by day.
Why choose a Laptop?
A laptop is a smaller portable desktop. So a laptop can be a perfect substitute for your desktop as it has everything that you need a laptop for. Laptops are ruling the market in today’s world and it has almost erased desktops off the market. Gone are the days when the laptop had limited features. Now it is more advanced, consisting of a single unit with integrated advanced features like speakers and touchpads as well! Moreover, laptops have various advantages as they can be assembled in a jiffy and you can take them everywhere. You can watch a movie while traveling or complete an urgent assignment while on a vacation. Thus you should seriously consider changing your desktop and upgrading it to a laptop. If you are a student especially from the engineering field then it is almost a need and not just want to get a good laptop.
Need of Laptop
When the PC revolution started, the laptops were very bulky and could not be handled easily. It was only used by high-level business travelers but now the era has changed and laptops are an ideal computing solution. There are various reasons why you just need a laptop as you are now a part of the techno world.
If you go to a market and sell your old computer, then you may hardly get any value for that. Laptops have far better resale values when compared to older desktops. Moreover, laptops are portable which is a great plus point. Laptops are your constant companion wherever you go. While traveling, if you feel lonely or bored, then you can watch a movie. Or maybe you have some urgent office work but your desktop is at your office. With a laptop, you need not worry about such situations.
Laptops are also much more compact versions of desktops. So, you need not waste huge spaces on it. It also saves energy as it does not need a constant electricity supply. With the better screen and more ergonomic keyboards, laptops are always preferred over desktop systems. It also provides easy access to its inner hardware setting if a problem arises. The technicians just have to remove the connector of the laptops, make changes and replace it. Moreover, on laptops, you can easily access USB or other ports.
All the points mentioned above make laptops far more convenient than desktops and in today’s generation, it has become a must to own a laptop. Students may feel crippled without access to a basic laptop at least and for students in engineering background, a powerful laptop is a must to have hands-on experience in all software.
Features of a Laptop
Laptops have lots of amazing features. Various factors have to be considered when looking for a suitable laptop. This selection varies from person to person as it mostly depends on the purpose that laptops are required for. For engineering students, a powerful laptop is mandatory. It has to have good computational speed and a powerful graphics card. There is much powerful software like AUTOCAD that has to be used in laptops. So the core processor of the laptop has to be amazing to support this software.
Some features of laptops that should be considered are:
- High-Speed Processor – the processor or the CPU is the brain of your laptop. It interprets all the commands and has a clock speed that tells how quickly the tasks will be performed. If you are an engineering student, then a lot of software has to be downloaded and currently, i7 core is the top choice for you.
- Large Memory– memory is another vital factor that has to be considered while buying a laptop. If you have a low-memory laptop, then you will not be able to download large software even if the processor permits. You will be able to store limited information. Mostly there is internal memory and then there is hardware memory. So according to your requirement, you will have to select. For engineers, it is better to have a good SSID with the option to expand them. So later on, when required you can increase the memory of your system.
- Display – the essence of creativity is a vital factor when choosing your laptop. Students use their laptops for designing as well. The key here is to not go for a laptop with the biggest screen. Other factors that have to be considered are the resolution, screen type, and graphic processor.
Advantages of Laptop
- Mobility: The lightweight compact laptop can be taken anywhere. This is the main advantage of a laptop over stationary desktops. It can be taken from one place to another and can be used anywhere, in parks, cafes, classrooms, etc.
- Finished product: Laptops are a complete product and additional accessories are not required. It has a built-in keyboard, mouse, speakers, mic, etc. No additional money has to be spent on buying these things.
- Internet: The main reason why laptops suddenly gained so much popularity was that we could use Wireless Technology or Wifi through them. Thus, easy internet accessibility was available anywhere. This made laptops more popular.
- Offline operations: laptops are also advantageous for all sorts of offline activities. For example, you want to present a presentation. You can easily take your laptop to the venue and present it. This is impossible for desktop users.
- Instant response: Within a few seconds you can have any sort of information if you have a laptop handy. It helps to establish better relations with co-workers and also keep a track of them. You can frequently check on your loved ones as well. A laptop is a boon.
- Power usage: This is a very impressive quality of laptops, as they have the option of battery backup. You do not have to plug in your laptop the whole time. You can charge it once and it goes on till its battery is drained. Moreover, if you face frequent power cuts, then your work is not lost if you are using a laptop!
- Compact size: the small sizes of laptops have revolutionized the computing world. Usually, laptops weigh around 2-3 kg and can be carried in one hand. The small size of the laptop may amaze you.
Disadvantages of Laptop
- Sensitivity: laptops are much more sensitive than a desktop. Due to its compact size and so many portable options, it is quite frequent to drop th4e laptop and break it. Laptops must be handled carefully with care to increase the longevity of the product.
- Frequent Upgrades: due to the integrated design of the laptops, it is difficult for laptops to automatically upgrade. Every laptop has its unique design and build, thus it is very difficult to upgrade it.
Types of Laptop
There are many types of laptops available. Some of them are mentioned below
- Notebook: Notebook laptops, also called garden-variety laptops, usually weigh around 5-8 pounds and are quite portable. It has a display of nearly 15 inches and has good quality graphics for gaming purposes and multimedia. It has sound cards and is quite a good laptop. This is very common and is mostly used. There is a wide range of notebook laptops available in the market. They are quite affordable, but ranges may vary depending on various factors.
- Ultrabook: These are ultra-compact notebooks. It weighs merely 3 pounds or less with a screen size of around 15 inches. They usually run on processors that are low and have a much longer battery life. The keyboard is also smaller.
- Netbooks: these are much smaller and cheaper. The processors are much less powerful and have very small keyboards. These types of laptops have now been upgraded to tablets. For example, Apple’s iPad is one example of this product. Netbooks are sleeker but have powerful resources.
- Tablets: these are small and thin laptops. It has become quite popular. The display ranges of these tabs are available wide. They do multiple tasks and are very powerful. But they are also a tad more costly as compared to normal notebooks.
- Desktop Laptops: they are heavier and are counterparts of desktops. They are not made for portable reasons and are as big as 20 inches. They weigh almost around 10 pounds and can be bulky. The keyboards are much bigger.
Factors to Look into Before Buying Laptop
There are multiple factors to consider before buying a laptop. Mostly it depends on the usage or the purpose for buying. Engineering students require high processor laptops and designers want high-resolution screen displays. Here are some factors that have to keep in mind before finalizing a laptop to purchase:
- Size: if you are a student, you have to take the laptop and carry it everywhere. Thus, the laptop should easily slip in and out of your bag and should not be too bulky to carry around. These are often ultrabooks that are usually bought by students. Usually, the screen size is 13 inches and weighs around 1.5 kg.
- RAM: RAM is a vital part that affects your computer performance. It is used to multitask, like editing, image editing, etc. More RAM means more computational power and more than one application can run smoothly. Usually, 4GB is appropriate and 8GB is best.
- Screen Quality: In today’s techno world, we all spend most of our day in front of our laptop screens. So we need a laptop that is easy on the eyes. The glossy screens may reflect light thus it is important to know all the pros and cons. It is important to have a high-resolution HD screen so that images and movies can also be viewed. It is important to go and check the screen manually before booking the laptop.
- Battery Life: the portability of the laptop is an important factor but the battery life has to be considered. The screen brightness or usage is also an important factor to be considered for battery life. So carefully look at the battery power before buying a laptop. It may vary greatly. You don’t want your laptop to be switched off in the middle of a lecture or presentation.
- CPU: this is another factor as most of the operations depend on the CPU alone. The Intel processors are the best ones in the market. These are i3, i5, and i7. The i3 are entry-level ones. But if you are an engineering student, then it is highly preferred to opt for an i5 or higher processor. I5 is mid-ranged but i7 is the fastest. However, i7 emits lots of heat so if you use your laptop on your lap then i7 may be a bad idea for you. Nowadays, i9 laptops are also available.
- Storage: you have to consider the storage types of your laptop. Hardware storage has to be high if you have lots of external files to be stored. But if you are an engineering student, then it is preferred to opt for higher SSD storage. Most laptops have the option to expand the memory in the future as well. Check well before buying
- USB 3.0 ports: most modern accessories come with USB 3 plug-in options. If your laptop does not have a port for it, then you will not be able to use such accessories. Thus look well before purchasing.
- Other hardware requirements: Look that your laptop has a webcam and mic if you plan on using them. For engineering students, it is preferred to have a webcam mic integrated laptop as you may need to write programs related to it. Other factors like speakers etc have to be considered too.
Here are the Top Laptops for Engineering Students
Microsoft Surface Laptop is a perfect laptop for engineers that features a 7 gen intel core processor, 512GB of storage, and 16 GB RAM. All these factors are really powerful. The exterior is of Aluminium casing and it has Microsoft, Windows, and MS office available. It has four color combinations. The typing experience will be great with Alcantra fabric-covered keyboard with an ultra-thin trackpad with light.
- General Features: Microsoft Surface Laptop features a 7th generation Intel Core i7 processor, 512 GB of storage, 16 GB RAM, and up to 14.5 hours of video playback.
- Other Applications: Backed by the best of Microsoft, including Windows and Office.
- Physical Appearance: Four tone-on-tone Color combinations. The exterior has an aluminum casing.
- Keyboard: Natural typing and Trackpad experience, ultra-thin and light. Luxurious Alcantara fabric-covered keyboard. 3.5 mm headset jack
- Best of WIndows features can be experienced in this laptop.
- It has an amazing display
- Lightweight and can be carried around easily.
- Surface pen available for easy navigation
- 1 USB port only
It has an amazing visual experience and intimate design. It has amazing battery life and a really large memory to store all day to day work. With a 15.6 display of FHD screen and 8GB RAM, this is one of the best options for engineering students
- A visual experience and intimate design: The 15.6-inch FHD screen can offer the best performance and the FHD 1920 * The 1080P screen has high light transmission and color saturation. The Intel HD Graphics 500 graphics processor makes this computer ideal for watching videos and comes with keyboard stickers from different countries to meet different needs.
- Large memory to meet your daily needs: Portable Notebook PC with 1.5 GHz, 8GB of RAM, and 128 GB SSD, the PC can quickly and easily manage multiple programs and can meet your daily and work needs. If you need more memory, you can also use the TF card to expand to 5 TB, the solid-state drive will be more reliable, faster, and more efficient. It only takes a few seconds to get started, you can transfer files without waiting hours.
- Windows 10 manages multimedia content: Ultrabook Laptop Windows 10 is pre-installed to simplify your life with personalized services. Quick startup times, increased response capabilities, and additional phishing and malware protection. A computer that allows you to use software to process music or graphic multimedia content
- For every type of connection: 15.6-inch laptop PC the laptop supports dual-band Intel, equipped with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, mini HDMI, SSD slot, USB port, etc. To achieve a wired / wireless media transmission, which allows you to connect to all types of devices. It can meet various connection needs, you can easily share data from this port to other supported storage devices.
- Powerful battery capacity: Portable PC in the 10000 mAh lithium-ion battery can be used for more than 6 hours, you can feel comfortable in online courses, in the remote office, the notebook is also equipped with a front camera 1.3M pixels, which can be used for family video calls.
- Large memory available to store unlimited data
- Windows 10 to easily manage multimedia content
- Powerful battery to use the laptop for a longer time without charging it again and again.
- Amazing visual experience to watch movies and graphic designing.
- Not a gaming laptop
- No disk drive
It has a powerful processor and amazing battery life. This is the top-notch choice for engineering students. With amazing trendy design and high tech performance, Laptop 13.3 inch Notebook Computer, IPS Display, Intel 64-bit Quad-core celeron_j3455 Processor, 6GB RAM, 128GB SSD, scalable 1TB SSD Solid State Drive, 10000mAh high Battery Life is one of the best students laptops.
- Powerful Processor: Housing the new generation 12 nm Intel quad-core celeron_j3455 processor with 1.5 GHz CPU, experience the outstanding performance and amazing battery life.
- Larger Capacity of Storage: YITAO ERA laptop runs on 6GB DDR4 dual-channel RAM which enhances the system response speed to a larger extent. The 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD, which is faster than HDD, delivers speedy reading and writing experience. Ergonomic keyboard button design for the most pleasant typing experience.
- Fashionable and unique design: This ultra-thin laptop is only 1.15 kg， which has better portability, accomplish more with the standard USB3.0 and USB2.0 port for connection with various peripherals, supports HDMI output for high-definition audio and video, ac dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, and other high-speed wireless transmissions.
- 12 Months Warranty: If you have any questions about the product, please contact us via Amazon email! (Warm Tips: After receiving the laptop, the battery may be insufficient or out of power. Therefore, please fully charge it first, thank you.)
- Has a 12-month Warranty in case of any damage
- More Durability allows a longer-lasting system and does not get damaged easily.
- High-quality battery life allows long-lasting performance.
- Amazing outer body for better appearance.
- The touch screen is of average quality
Acer Aspire is one of the slim laptops that provides almost 15.6 inches of magnificent display. With Ryzen 4 processor, and 12 GB SSD. This laptop is perfect for students who are not satisfied with Intel processors and want to switch to Ryzen.
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Dual-Core Processor (Up to 3. 5GHz); 4GB DDR4 Memory; 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- Display: 15. 6 inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display; AMD Radeon Vega 3 Mobile Graphics
- Ports: 1 USB 3. 1 Gen 1 Port, 2 USB 2. 0 Ports & 1 HDMI Port with HDCP support
- Other features: 802. 11ac Wi-Fi; Backlit Keyboard; Up to 7. 5 Hours Battery Life
- Operating System: Windows 10 in S mode. Maximum Power Supply Wattage 65 W
- App compatibility: Compatible with Google Classroom; run Google Classroom on Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer 11
- Windows 10 in S mode is available
- Amazing audio and mind-blowing speaker
- Top-notch display experience.
- 2 USB port 2.0 and one 3.1 USB port
- Average camera quality
- Not good for graphic designing
- ScreenPad Plus: 12.6-inch matte touchscreen, giving your endless way to optimize your multitasking experience by extending the screen or split windows and apps on both displays
- Display: 14 inches Full HD 400 nits NanoEdge touch screen glossy main display
- Processor: Latest 11th generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor 2.8 GHz (up to 4.7 GHz, 4 cores) with Intel Iris Xe Graphics
- Storage: Fast storage and memory featuring 512GB PCIe SSD with 16GB LPDDR4X RAM | Windows 10 Home and Built-in IR camera for facial recognition sign-in with Windows Hello | Exclusive ErgoLift design for improved typing position, optimized cooling system, and enhanced audio performance
- Ports: Extensive connectivity with Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), HDMI, and Thunderbolt 4 via USB Type C (*USB Transfer speed may vary. Learn more at ASUS website) | Sleeve, Stand, Stylus included
- 512 GB flash memory for smooth programming.
- I7 processor to increase the computational power
- Touch screen main display is available
- Average battery life
- Weight: ultra-lightweight 1,190g
- Display: 17″ 16:10 aspect ratio (2560 x 1600) IPS display
- Processor: intel Evo platform w/ 11th gen intel core processors
- Battery life: up to 22 hours battery life (80wh)
- thunderbolt 4
- Operating system: Windows 10 Home
- Display size: 16.0 inches
- Memory storage capacity: 512.0
- Hard disk size: 512.0 GB
- Lightweight for easy portability
- 512 Hard disk space to store your content
- Amazing battery life of 22 hours
- Thunderbolt 4
- Only one USB port
This laptop has an 11th Generation Intel Core i5-1135G7 Processor (8MB Cache, 2.4 GHz up to 4.2 GHz, 4 Cores). This laptop has Windows 10 Home, 720p at 30 fps HD camera, single-array microphone, High-Definition Audio, 2.0 stereo speakers, 2 W x 2 = 4 W total, Non-Backlit Keyboard, English with Numeric Keypad.
- Processor: 11th Generation Intel Core i5-1135G7 Processor (8MB Cache, 2.4 GHz up to 4.2 GHz, 4 Cores)
- Display: 15.6” Full HD (1920 x 1080), Anti-glare, LED Backlight, Non-Touch Narrow Border WVA Display
- Memory: 8GB RAM DDR4, 2666MHz, 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive (SSD), Intel Iris Xe Graphics with the shared graphics memory
- Ports: 2x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A ports, 1x USB 2.0 Gen 1 Type-A port, 1x RJ45 – 10/100Mbps Ethernet port, 1x Headset (headphone and microphone combo) port, 1x HDMI 1.4 port, 1x Power-adapter port, 1x SD Media Card Reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC), 1x Wedge-shaped lock slot
- OS: Windows 10 Home, 720p at 30 fps HD camera, single-array microphone, High-Definition Audio, 2.0 stereo speakers, 2 W x 2 = 4 W total, Non-Backlit Keyboard, English with Numeric Keypad
- Intel iris graphics for a great gaming experience.
- Lightweight to easily carry around.
- 8 GB RAM smoothly carries around all computing tasks.
- Full HD display for great watching experience
HP Chromebook is the perfect PC for engineering students if you are looking to use it strictly for coding purposes and no gaming purpose. It is pocket friendly and lightweight with powerful computational speeds
- Processor: Work and play all day with the power and performance of an Intel Core processor, long battery life, and ample storage. Battery type: 3-cell, 60.9 Wh Li-ion polymer
- Physical Features: Thin and light, FHD Gorilla Glass NBT micro-edge display and 360° hinge that adapts to you. Show off with standout features like a seamless metal cover and the keyboard deck and Audio by Bang & Olufsen.
- Keyboard: The full-sized island-style keyboard allows you to work anywhere, with 1.5mm key travel for typing comfort and total productivity.
- 3 USB ports of 3.0 type for extensive connectivity
- Lightweight to increase portability for students.
- Easy to carry amazing computational speed
- Chrome OS
MSI Katana is the ultimate gaming laptop. With 8GB RAM and Nvidia card, this PC is unstoppable. It is amazing for engineers as it has mind-blowing processing power.
- Display: 15.6″ FHD, IPS-Level 144Hz 45%NTSC
- Processor: Core i5-11400H 6 Core 2.7 – 4.5GHz
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX3050 Laptop GPU 4GB GDDR6
- Memory: DDR 4 8GB,256GB NVMe PCIe SSD
- Amazing gaming laptop
- Vidia Geforce graphics card is present.
- Cooler boost to prevent overheating.
- Large memory space is available to download apps.
- There is no option to plug an external monitor
Lenovo Idea pad is another Ryzen 7 processor PC with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. It has a pre-installed Windows 10 operating system and is quite good for student purposes.
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700U (2.3 GHz up to 4.0 GHz, up to 4 MB cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads)
- Display: 15.6” Full HD (1920 x 1080), Anti-glare, LCD, Non-touch display
- 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM, 256 GB M.2 SSD, AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 Graphics
- Ports: 1x HDMI, 2x USB 3.1 Gen 1, 1x USB 2.0, Headphone/microphone combo
- OS: Windows 10 Home 64, 0.3-megapixel camera/webcam, Bluetooth, Dolby Audio
- RX Vega 10 Graphics card available.
- Dolby Audio available
- Amazing quality display
- 1 2.0 USA port
It is a clean, high-speed, and low-noise device. This nose trimmer comes within budget and is relevant to other devices’ features. It is washable and 100 % impassable. It operates through a single AA battery which is not included. It is travel-friendly as it comes with a storage pouch. The patent-pending 360-degree beveled blade system of this face trimmer is great for close trimming of the ear and nose and cuts evenly and cleanly through all types of hair.
- Processor: Powerful & efficient Intel Core i5-10210U Processor (up to 4. 2GHz)
- Display: 14” Full HD Wideview touch display with up to 178° viewing angle optimized for entertainment
- Weight: 12. 9” wide, 0. 7” thin with a lightweight chassis at 3. 3 pounds
- Memory: 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB PCI-E G3x2 SSD, Windows 10
- Connectivity: Comprehensive connections including fingerprint sensor, USB 3. 1 Type-C (Gen1), USB 3. 1 Type-A (Gen1), 2 x USB 2. 0, SD/MMC card reader, & HDMI; Lightning-fast Wi-Fi 6(Gig+)(802. 11ax) keeps you connected through any congestion or interference
- Flip touch laptop that rotates 360 degrees
- Reasonable price with amazing features
- Numerous ports for more connectivity
- Lightweight to carry around easily.
- Average battery life
Chromebook is a favorite choice for engineering students. With a 180 degree hinge and 14-inch display, this is an amazing choice for students.
- Display: 4” HD 1366×768 NanoEdge display featuring an ultra-narrow bezel
- Processor: Powered by the Intel dual-core Celeron N3350 processor (up to 2 4 GHz) for fast and snappy performance
- Memory: 4GB Lpddr4 RAM 32GB eMMC storage and 2 x USB Type-C and 2 x type-a ports
- OS: Chromebook runs on Chrome OS – an operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today
- Runs on Chrome OS
- 4 3.0 USB ports for more connectivity.
- High-quality display for a great viewing experience.
- 180-degree hinge for a full rotation.
- No optical drive
The Asus Zenbook is one of the best laptops of its type. With an i7 processor and 16 GB RAM, this is an unbeatable laptop, Asus company is ideal for students as well as gaming. It has an exclusive dual feature touchpad that just adds the cherry on the top.
- Display: 13.3” wide-view Full-HD NanoEdge bezel Display with a 95% screen-to-body ratio
- Exclusive dual-function touchpad: a touchpad with switchable numeric keypad for immediate data entry
- Audio: Exclusive ErgoLift design for improved typing position, optimized cooling System, and enhanced audio performance
- Processor: Latest 8th generation Intel Core i7-8565u Quad-Core Processor (Up to 4.6 GHz)
- Memory: Fast storage and memory featuring 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD with 8GB LPDDR3 RAM
- Power:(Output: 19V DC, 45W); (Input: 100-240V AC, 50/60Hz universal)
- 16 GB RAM provides outstanding performance
- An advanced touchpad is available.
- Low power consumption available.
- Great audiovisual experience.
- A bit expensive
- Low-tech device
After reading this article, we hope you get to know the important features, models, types, factors before buying, and the need for laptops for software engineers. From the top 13 best laptops for Software Engineering, we found two laptops to be more promising. The features of the laptop are found to be highly suitable for software works and are also affordable. The two are: Lenovo IdeaPad S145 15.6″ FHD Laptop and Microsoft Surface Laptop (Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB) – Burgundy – DAL-00037