Last Updated on 23/11/2021 by Riya
Joker malware has once again been found in the apps. According to analyst Tatyana Shishkova of security firm Kaspersky “Apps containing Joker malware have been found on the Google Play Store which is a matter of concern”.
How many apps are infected with Joker malware?
So far, about 15 Android apps have become victims of this malware. Easy PDF Scanner, Now QRcode Scan, Super-Click VPN, Volume Booster Louder Sound Equalizer, Battery charging animation bubble effects, Smart TV Remote, Volume Boosting Hearing Aid, Flash Alert on Call, Halloween Coloring,Classic Emoji Keyboard, Super Hero-Effect, Dazzling Keyboard, EmojiOne Keyboard, Battery charging animation wallpaper, Blender Photo Editor are included.
This is not the first time that apps with Joker malware have been found on the Google Play Store. In 2020 several apps were found on the play store which was later removed by Google. This malware was first discovered on the Google Play Store in 2017. So far more than 50,000 people have downloaded apps with Joker malware on their phones.
How to recognize apps containing joker malware?
Finding the apps containing Joker malware is quite a challenging task as it remains in a very secret place in the application. Joker malware secretly activates subscription to premium services, charge you a huge amount, and can bypass Google security.
It becomes more difficult to recognize apps like these when high ratings and comments appear on these apps although most of the ratings and comments are fake.
How to identify fake reviews and comments on the play store?
1. Look at other reviews by the same reviewer to see if there’s a pattern.
2. Put together a list of recent apps reviewed by a certain reviewer, then examine other reviews for the same application. If you notice a pattern among these reviewers, they all are likely paid reviewers.
3. Count the number of words that have been written. Fake reviews are often less than 5 words long and overly simplistic.
4. When a review contains too many keywords, we can deem it as bogus.
5. Make sure that comments contain no spelling mistakes as fake reviews are frequently contain spelling errors.