HomeUpdateCIFR discovered Karakurt, a new hacking group that specializes in data breaches...

CIFR discovered Karakurt, a new hacking group that specializes in data breaches and cyber ransom


Last Updated on 06/02/2022 by Riya

Between September and November 2021, a previously unknown, money-driven threat group carried out a string of data theft and extortion operations against more than 40 organizations.

According to a study issued on December 10 by Accenture’s Cyber Research, Forensics and Response unit, a gang of cybercriminals known as Karakurt was first spotted in June 2021 and therefore can switch strategies and procedures to fit the targeted system. CIFR stated that,

Threat organizations are monetarily driven, opportunistic in character, and appear to be focusing on small enterprises or multinational subsidiaries instead of other massive hunting strategies.”

According to the group,

“Based on infiltration assessments to date, threat organizations have mainly centered on data breaches and consequent extortion, instead of highly catastrophic ransomware operations.”

North America accounts for 95% of threat incidents, with Europe accounting for the rest 5%. The most focused industries include professional services, healthcare, industrial, retail, tech, and entertainment. However, law enforcement agencies try their best to assist organizations to get rid of this issue but unfortunately due to following law enforcement operations, hackers such as Dark Side, BlackMatter, and REvil Karakurt try new methods to disrupt their operations.

Companies can switch on multi-factor authentication (MFA) to verify their accounts, block RDP on external devices, and update their system to the newest version in order to protect their data.

Riya is a technology enthusiast and an avid researcher. She writes about consumer tech, hacking, and technology consumer issues at TheDigitalHacker.
- Advertisment -

Must Read

Data Science Drives Personalized Marketing and Customer Engagement to New Heights...

Personalized marketing and customer engagement are crucial for businesses to thrive in the current digital era. Because data science makes it possible for marketers...