Smoked Mac and cheese, smoked bacon, smoked chicken, BBQ ham, smoked lobsters, turkey, corn, chicken and what not… huff, the list seems soo long. smoked dishes are a whole new and exotic feel, with mesmerising taste. all of these will tempt you to but a charcoal smoker at once. Imagine going for picnics on a cold afternoon, or just a BBQ party at the midnight on your beachside house, all sounds so cool. a charcoal smoker is considered to be the most effective piece to cook food, with enact flavours. it is easy to carry and use. it is a slow cooking method that works at a very low temperature, providing indirect heat. well, ts a must buy if you are a foodie. let’s take a look into some of the most popular charcoal smokers in 2021.
What is Charcoal Smoker?
a charcoal smoker is a device that creates heat with the help of charcoal, cooks food with all the juices intact. It prepares your mouth with the help of an indirect heating system, at low temperature which is also known as slow cooking. All you need is charcoal and water, to keep the temperature consistent while cooking. Generally, the temperature can be adjusted between the range of 220° Fahrenheit –250° Fahrenheit. Most the charcoal smokers have four parts, including a firebox, cooking chamber, water pan and a lid. Moreover, the heat is generated and captured in the cooking chamber, which slowly cooks your meal. You might be wondering, why do we need a water pan. Generally, when the heat rises, water is required to settle down the hot temperature. The lid also has a vent, to allow all the smoke and fumes pass away
Types of Charcoal Smokers
- CHARCOAL SMOKERS- it is one of the most popular types of the smoker, available in the market. This food is cooked with the help of charcoal, either charcoal briquettes or lump. The process of cooking is enhancing, enriching and pretty amazing. You can easily manage the cooking temperature while preparing your food. Do it takes much time in preparing your meal, but it proved to be one of the best smokers
|It is affordable||it requires time in attention|
|It provides you with a traditional smoky flavour||it has a huge ongoing cost|
|It is simple and easy||maintaining temperature seems complex|
- ELECTRIC SMOKERS- as the name suggests, these are electric smokers which are very easy to use. All you need to do is plug-in and cook your meal. If you are a beginner, this could be one of the best ways to learn smoke cooking.
|It is easy to use||it could deprive you of the original BBQ experience|
|It can be used as a cold smoker||electricity is a must|
|Plug-in and forget||various brands are unable to keep up with the quality|
- OFFSET SMOKERS- this kind of smoker is not suitable for beginners. It is quite complex to maintain temperature practically. If you are a beginner always start with a charcoal smoker.
|It provides you with full control over the temperature||it is difficult to manage|
|You can cook plenty of things at once||they are expensive|
- GAS SMOKERS- these smokers walkthrough fuel/gas connection. A gas smoker is very easy to use, you do not need to give time sitting beside. It is very easy to use, and prominent for beginners.
|no need to monitor the meal||refilling is a must|
|it is inexpensive||you may get less flavourful meals|
|most of them are poorly built|
- KAMADO GRILLS- this grill works on the traditional cooking method, where you need to precisely control the temperature by controlling the airfield. It is complicated but very easy to use. It could provide you with the best experience, to cook smoky food
|It is versatile||expensive|
|Temperature control is precise||it requires more cooking area|
|It could work on coal or wood|
- PELLET GRILLS- it is also a versatile cooking tool, that is used for smoking, grilling and baking. It is perfect for beginners if you love all three. It can work on wood and is comparatively cheap. The wood pellets I found in different flavours, which can make your cooking interesting.
|It’s easy to handle||wood pellets are Expensive|
|It provides you with versatile cooking||you won’t get the traditional smoky flavour|
|It provides you with various flavours|
Differences Between a Charcoal Smoker And a Charcoal Grill
To create a distinctive taste, both devices cook meat with charcoal. The heat mode is, however, the primary distinction. First of all, while a smoker is a low-temperature indirect fire, a barbecue is higher temperature direct heat. A different room is built to allow the smoker to burn charcoals in one area while the meat is put in another area. To provide appropriate heat, the temperature is always set between 220 ° F and 250 ° F. For comparison, over the burning coals, the grill cooks beef. It is an open space for grilling. In certain cases, the heat can reach over 500 degrees. The smoker is mainly for ribs, pork, and barbecue preparation, while salmon, shrimp, and chicken are also grilled on the grill.
KEY BUYING GUIDE FOR A WISE CHARCOAL SMOKER CHOICE
- SIZE-considering the size before making a purchase is one of the most essential element to depend upon. If you have a small family, you would require a small charcoal smoke. If you are a party person and end up gathering plenty of people then you require a larger one
- BUDGET– you need to consider the budget of the charcoal smoker. All you need to depend on is the number of features the charcoal has. If it is a basic charcoal smoker, then it tends to be à simple one. On the other hand, if there are plenty of features and accessories then the price tends to be higher.
- DURABILITY- the charcoal smoker should be durable and long-lasting. Keep in mind the material it is made up of. At times you can change and upgrade the bad parts, to increase the life span of the charcoal smoker.
- PORTABILITY- the smoker should be portable, lightweight and very easy to Cary. This is because you may take it to the beach or on the rod top while travelling it should fit in your car. Moreover, this also depends upon the features of the product.
- COOKING SURFACE STRUCTURE- this is generally related to the size of the charcoal smoker. You may find smokers which may cover an area of 800 in.² – 1500 in.². The larger the surface area, the more will be the plates. In a simple charcoal smoker, there are almost 3-5 plates to get you. Each plate can provide you with around 3000 Btu of heat.
- TEMPERATURE GAUGE- this seems to be one of the most essential features, of purchasing a chocolate smoker. It helps you maintain a proper temperature, by just controlling the dial. It is supported by a meter, which leads to temperature, for efficient cooking.
- MATERIAL CONSTRUCTION– material needs to be carefully checked while purchasing a charcoal smoker. Generally, if you use it in a backyard or on your terrace, there are chances of it getting dirty easily. Hence, do not go on the appeal whereas look for good construction material. There are various which are made up of porcelain because it prevents rusting and requires very less maintenance.
- ACCESS DOORS AND LIFT HANDLES– The access doors are also required since they allow you to inject your food or charcoal into the smoker. The entry door should be easy to open for the food portion and should be sealed shut. The access door should also be supplied with ample insulation to shield the application from any heat exposure. Also, to ensure that no smoke or heat escapes from the cooking area, the seal’s efficiency should be exceptional. For the fuel area, for easy usability, the door should be sturdy and fitted with a convenient lock. Also, the door should be firmly placed away from the cooking area.
- SMOKING RACK CONSTRUCTION-A smoking rack is located just near to the cooking point, that provides you with easy maintenance. It helps in providing room to smoke while cooking food. That I can easily be detached and can even fit within the smoker. These are made up of stainless steel/chrome, which requires very less maintenance.-
- AIR VENT CONSTRUCTION- it is important because charcoal is a variant of wood. It needs space, along with good air ventilation system for better cooking. Regular maintenance can avoid blockage and maintain a proper ventilation system. Always make sure that the vent is placed as far as possible, from the cooking area for better circulation of smoke.
- Detachable wheels – the machine should have wheels to increase portability and mobility. These wheels should have a locking technology, to prevent falling
Best Charcoal Smokers Brands
- DYNA-GO- this is one of the best brands, that provides you with a good range of household devices. The products are of good quality, durable and highly functional. It manufactures charcoal grills, charcoal smokers, electric smokers and natural gas
- CHAR-BROIL- This brand has made its market value in the last 70 years, by bringing the first charcoal grill in the industry. It has a good customer reputation, and trust. It manufactures charcoal smokers, natural gas, electric grills, charcoal grills, hybrid grills, outdoor kitchens, portable grills, RTU-infrared gas and a lot more.
- The WEBER-The company aims at making products which deliver good food quality to people, it is one of the best companies in the past and future. It manufactures BBQ systems, building tools, charcoal smokers, grills and a lot more.
- CUISINART- this tends to be one of the best brands, in household appliances. All the devices/machines are affordable, durable and have a really good bit. It has a good market value and keeps customer preference in mind.
How to use a Charcoal Smoker
Using a charcoal smoker is not at all a big deal, All you need to do is focus on some of the major steps and initiate your cooking process. First of all prepared the fuel, whatever you’re using make sure it is available. If you are using wood chips, soak them in water before using them to get a nice flavour. Secondly, fill up a pan with water, which helps you balance the temperature. Light up the Coal, to start with your cooking process. Wait for a few minutes, for it to get heated. Slowly, you can put your mail within the smoker on the grills. Make sure that you control the temperature, it should range from 220fahrenheit-250 Fahrenheit. Keep on adding more fuel whenever required. The food you cook will take a longer time, as it is a slow cooking process. Keep a check on the foodstuff, and prevent it from burning.
How to clean charcoal smoker
You need to clean your charcoal smoker regularly to prevent it from greasing and regular wear and tear. Before initiating the cooking process always make sure that your grills are cool, wash them properly once and wipe them. Make sure that you clean the ashtray as soon as possible, to maintain hygiene. Moreover, you need to clean your Charcoal smoker once a year perfectly and deeply by the scrapping of all the grease and hinges. Clean all the chambers wash and dry the internal parts to avoid rusting. To maintain cleanliness you can also use aluminium foil sheets, to prevent oil dripping or any other mess.
Top 13 Best Charcoal Smokers in 2021
- Weber 726 Square Inches Charcoal Smoker
- Masterbuilt 395.4 Square Inches Charcoal Smoker
- Dyna-Glo Black Charcoal Smoker
- Dyna-Glo 36-Inches Charcoal Smoker
- Char-Broil American Gourmet Charcoal Smoker
- Dyna-Glo Signature Charcoal Smoker
- Royal Gourmet 800 Square Inches Charcoal Smoker
- Cuisinart 18-Inches Charcoal Smoker
- Char-Broil Deluxe Charcoal Smoker
- Char-Broil 605 Square Inches Charcoal Smoker
- Pit Barrel Cooker Classic Charcoal Smoker
- Char-Griller Black Charcoal Smoker
- Char-Griller Graphite Charcoal Smoker
Top 13 best charcoal smokers in 2021 Conclusion
1. Weber 726 Square Inches Charcoal Smoker
- Material-Nickel plated cooking grates, porcelain, enamelled water tray, aluminium fuel door
- Cooking grates-2
- Cooking space-22 inches diameter
- Dimension-20 4X 20 3X 48.5 inches
- Weight-68 pounds
- Grilling area-726 in.²
- The charcoal smoker has three different parts, which perform three individual functions.
- It has adjustable vents along with an access door, for easy working.
- The built-in thermal meter helps to control the temperature at once.
- It comes with two cooking grates, which makes it different from others
- The charcoal smoker also has a porcelain enamelled tray, for water.
- It is easy to assemble and has a good built
- It works efficiently, as the girls are convenient to use
- The smoker has an amazing ventilation system
- Most pointedly, it is expensive.
- It cooks food simultaneously, without burning.
- Working of the thermometer could be inappropriate
- A small amount of smoke tends to get trapped
- It is difficult to cook on a charcoal smoker, especially for beginners
2. Masterbuilt 395.4 Square Inches Charcoal Smoker
- Brand-Master built
- Smoking racks-2
- Materials-Porcelain coated smoking racks, porcelain-coated charcoal pan, and water bowl
- Dimensions-19.1 3X 21.6 5X 31.49 inches
- Weight-15.26 pounds
- Grilling area – 395.4 in.²
- This is an affordable, portable charcoal smoker that comes with a lid thermometer to adjust temperature accurately
- It helps you at charcoal through the front door, for cooking.
- As it is portable, you can carry it with you for picnics and parties.
- The charcoal smoker comes with two porcelain-coated racks
- It is easy to assemble, affordable and durable
- It is easy to carry, as it is portable
- It gets heated within minutes
- You can easily put fuel through the front door
- it is extremely useful to control smoke penetration
- As it is small, there is limited space for charcoal
- It does not have a lower ventilation system
- Thermal meter reading might not be accurate
- It comes with a small, shallow water bowl.
3. Dyna-Glo Black Charcoal Smoker
- Smoking area-784 square inches
- Materials-Heavy gauge porcelain-enamelled steel wood chip box along with heavy-duty cast iron burner. The heavy-duty steel body construction is spectacular with high-temperature powder coat finish.
- Cooking grates-6
- Smoke flow-Smokes up to 100lbs of food simultaneously
- Warranty-1 year
- Dimensions-20.29 X34.52X 47.03 inches
- weight- 57 pounds
- Grilling area- 1176 in.²
- Colour- Black
- This is a heavy-duty charcoal smoker, with two doors for cooking and fuel. It is a perfect smoker, for cooking meat.
- The vertical design makes it portable and spacious.
- As it has dual door mechanism, you can easily reduce heat along with the ventilation system.
- you would be amazed to know that it comes with two wide grills along with 6 grates, to cook a large number of meals at a time
- The design is perfect for slow cooking, which infuses flavour into your meal.
- It also has a stainless steel thermal meter, which helps you track temperature at once
- It has an electronic pulse ignition, that improves the functioning of the charcoal smoker
- It is easy to use and easy to assemble
- The racks are easy to clean
- the slow cooking process is magnificent
- It is durable, and easy to add charcoal. CONS
- It does not come with a Water pan
- The thermometer is not of good quality.
- It does not have wheels, which becomes difficult to move
- You need to use high-temperature silicon, sometimes smoke gets trapped
4. Dyna-Glo 36-Inches Charcoal Smoker
- Size-36 inches
- Cooking grates-4
- Materials-Stainless-steel temperature gauge with a porcelain charcoal chamber. It also has a heavy gauge porcelain enamelled steel water bowl and a chip box along with a cast iron burner
- dimensions – 20.83 x 21.45 x 49.73 inches
- weight-56 pounds
- grilling area-784 in.²
- colour- Black
- The smoker has a very effective design and can help you cook different types of meals at once. It comes with 4 cooking grates.
- it has ash pan, which is removable to maintain proper cleaning
- it has a stainless temperature gauge along with the custom fit cover
- While cooking, the charcoal burns to keep the smoke intact. This helps in bringing a smoky flavour to your food
- It is easy to clean and maintain
- There is no scope of leakage
- It comes with four different grates, which brings versatility
- The smoker is durable and made up of premium quality
- It has a water bowl along with an easy to read the instruction manual
- It does not heat up quickly, in cold weather
- The handle of the damper is not of good quality
- It is hard to assemble
- Be careful while purchasing, look for dents if any.
5. Char-Broil American Gourmet Charcoal Smoker
- Materials-Sturdy steel unit along with porcelain-coated grilling grates
- Warranty-1 year
- dimension- 17.5 x 46.25 x 44.75 inches
- weight- 46.5 pounds
- grilling area- 430 in.²
- colour- Black
- It is a portable charcoal smoker, with two wheels and stationary legs. You can easily move around with this sort of charcoal smoker
- It comes with two cooking surfaces along with an indirect grilling system. It is spacious and can cook your meal easily
- You can easily adjust all the grates, as per the height you desire
- it has a vertical chimney, for effective ventilation. The lead also keeps a check at the temperature along with a built-in damper.
- Can use it as a smoker, griller and a BBQ
- it is portable, easy to move and Has a very sturdy design
- The smoker is versatile
- It has heatproof handles
- There is no scope of leakage
- It also has a removable ashtray
- It is a bit heavy
- The paint is not of good quality
- It is difficult to assemble
- The thermometer is incorrect
- It may tend to bend
6. Dyna-Glo Signature Charcoal Smoker
- Style-Signature Smoker
- Cooking grates-5
- Materials-Chrome-plated grates and a heavy-gauge steel body. It also has a stainless temperature gauge and a coiled steel door handle
- dimension-45.5 X 24.9 X 58.8 inches
- Weight-124.3 pounds
- Grilling area-1382 in.²
- Colour- black
- It’s one of the best vertical charcoal smokers that come with the easy heat control system.
- It has various chambers, that allow you to meet various meals at a single time. It also has a handy draw, that makes cleaning dust very easily.
- It has huge wheels, which makes it easier to move from one place to another
- The smoker comes with five grates for cooking.
- It also has a temperature gauge that helps in controlling the temperature along with a smoke zone.
- The vertical design and solid body structure makes it a must-buy
- There are no chances of a leak
- It is portable and easy to clean
- The smoker is versatile
- You can cook plenty of meals at a time
- there can be usual wear and tear.
- The steel coated housing is not good for heat retention
7. Royal Gourmet 800 Square Inches Charcoal Smoker
- Brand-Royal Gourmet
- Size-30 inches
- Main chamber-438 square inches
- Materials- Porcelain-coated cooking grates with a stunning new black coating
- Sidebox-183 square inches
- Swing-away rack-179 square inches
- Dimension-55.1 x 27.2 x 48.4 inches
- weight-54.2 pounds
- grilling area- 800 in.²
- colour- Black
- This is a BBQ smoker, that can also act as a grill. It can work on charcoal, wooden ships and even briquettes.
- The charcoal pan is adjustable, that helps you easily choose a specific height for cooking.
- It also has a ventilation system that controls the airflow and retains heat.
- It has a type/no ignition system
- it can reach a temperature of 400° Fahrenheit and more.
- The greats of the smoker are porcelain coated and are spacious.
- it has a temperature gauge helps in efficient working
- It is easy to assemble
- Smoker is lightweight
- It can hold huge capacity and heats up very quickly
- It is very easy to throw ashes
- It is inexpensive
- You might find the bottom tray burnt/rusted
- The paint might feel of after a certain time
- it does not let a small amount of smoke pass-through
8. Cuisinart 18-Inches Charcoal Smoker
- Materials-Steel housing, porcelain enamel water bowl along with a stainless-steel cooking grate
- Size-18 inches
- Cooking racks-2
- Dimension-25 x 25 x 45 inches
- weight-25 pounds
- grilling area-510 in.²
- This is a lightweight charcoal smoker, that comes with 218-inch racks.
- It can heat up to 225° Fahrenheit, to provide you with flavourful means
- It also has a porcelain enamel water bowl
- there are two vents, upper and lower
- It has a thermometer on the lead, to control the temperature
- It is easy to clean, assemble and use
- It waits for the ideal temperature of almost 225° Fahrenheit
- The smoker is portable, easy to move
- It is spacious and has a large fuel storage system
- It was nice Bangalore user manual
- There might be chances of leakage
9. Char-Broil Deluxe Charcoal Smoker
- Cooking surface-670 square inches
- Firebox chamber-355 square inches
- Materials-Chrome-plated handles along with all-black steel construction and porcelain-coated grates
- Warming rack-140 square inches
- Warranty-1 year
- Dimension-28.25 x 60.25 x 51 inches
- weight-102.1 pounds
- grilling area-1,025 square inches
- This is one of the best-reviewed charcoal smokers, that acts as a grill and as a BBQ.
- It is spacious and has a side firebox along with a starter and a deluxe grill
- You can easily remove Ash, to maintain the cleanliness.
- It also has a storage rack, in which you can store parts and equipment
- It has adjustable chimney controls, bullet out air
- It has wheels, removing
- It is easy to assemble and easy to clean
- The smoker operates effectively, without any flaw
- It is easy to move, as it has wheels
- It lid does not get heated up
- It may rust over time
- The instruction manual is not user friendly
- It does not have sales between the grill and the firebox.
- It gets dusty easily, and the lid gets greasy.
10. Char-Broil 605 Square Inches Charcoal Smoker
- Size-30 inches
- Main chamber-477 square inches
- Warranty-1 year
- Materials-Porcelain-coated cooking grates with a very sturdy steel construction
- Dimensions-54.3 x 43.9 x 22.7 inches
- weight-69.4 pounds
- grilling area-605 square inches
- This is a huge charcoal smoker, that comes with three-piece smoking Chambers
- It has a temperature gauge, for easy reading of the temperature
- It has porcelain-coated grates
- The smoker has 8-inch wheels along with a side shelf
- You can easily keep a check on the temperature
- It can make almost 24 burgers at a time
- It is portable
- The instruction manual is easy to read
- It is simple to clean the ashtray
- There might be chances of leakage
- The paint my pillow after sometime
- You need to place the grate inside Firefox, at a lower position for longer cooking.
11. Pit Barrel Cooker Classic Charcoal Smoker
- Brand-Pit Barrel Cooker
- Size-1.5 inches
- Hanging rods-2
- Materials-Gallon porcelain-coated steel drum
- Hooks-8 (stainless-steel)
- Dimesnions-21 x 21 x 31.1 inches
- weight-57 pounds
- It is a unique charcoal smoker that comes with eight different hooks to hang brisket.
- The cooking is effective and takes shorter time because heat and smoke are proportionally divided equally
- it is perfect for seating and grilling.
- It comes with a charcoal basket, eight stainless steel books and two hanging Rods.
- Suitable for slow cooking
- Spacious, complemented with hooks and racks
- It is easy to use
- You do not need to change temperature frequently
- It can cook a meal in a shorter duration of time as compare to others
- There are chances of lead being bent, which may cause trouble
- You need to clean ashtray by putting efforts
- You might need to order accessories, which may increase your cost
- It does not have wheels.
12. Griller Black Charcoal Smoker
- Main cooking area -580 square inches
- Grates- cast iron, non-stick
- Materials-Heavy-gauge powder-coated steel construction along with powder coat finish
- Side firebox -250 square inches
- Dimensions-21.7 x 18.9 x 31.9 inches
- weight-113 pounds
- grilling area-830 square inches
- This is a traditional, unique charcoal smoker that comes with removable charcoal drovers
- It is perfect for barbecue and grilling
- You can cook a large number of meals at a time
- It is a charcoal grill with Side firebox
- The grates are made up of non-stock caste iron.
- It is very easy to regulate the temperature
- You can cook for a larger number of people
- It is easy to clean ashes
- The smoker is easy to transport and assemble
- It provides you with a good smoky flavour
- It is durable and effective
- It might get rusted after certain years.
- There are various other brands, better than this
- The paint burns easily
- It provides you with a low-quality grading system
- The temperature distribution is unequal/uneven
13. Char-Griller Graphite Charcoal Smoker
- Main cooking space-314 square inches
- Warming rack-133 square inches
- Folding shelves-2
- Temp range -200°F to 700°F
- Materials-Cast iron cooking surface and powder-coated steel exterior finish.
- Dimensions-26.6 x 24.8 x 21.65 inches
- weight-90 pounds
- grilling area-447 square inches
- This is a small charcoal smoker and a KAMADO style griller
- It works effectively, with less charcoal and proper airflow
- The temperature is talked with the help of locking lids, that even helps in maintaining moisture.
- The machine has wheels, for mobility
- It has folding side shelves, which makes it different from others
- The machine comes with double-wall installation
- Is affordable and has a very sturdy design
- It is good for heat retention
- The machine is lightweight and easy to use
- It also has a grading system
- It is spacious
- The external area remains school, even when cooking at a very high temperature
- There might be chances of leakage from the gasket
- There might be few parts that require modification
Here we are towards the end of this list of 13 best charcoal smokers in 2021. The best charcoal smoker is Webber seven 26 in.² charcoal smoker, which has a unique look and also a built-in thermal meter. Apart from this, if you’re looking for a budget-friendly smoker then master built is the best. Well, if you seem to travel a lot then you require a portable charcoal smoker. It could be char-broil American gourmet Charcoal smoker. If you are a true fan of BBQ, You may look out to Royal gourmet 800 in.² charcoal smoker. Hence this was all about charcoal smokers. Always make sure that you keep in mind the necessities including the size, durability, features, portability, grilling system and the grates.