Chromebook – Overview
What are Chromebooks?
Chromebooks are powerfully built laptops that operate on Chrome OS. Operating system of a Chromebook prioritizes the 3 S’s of technology – Simplicity, Speed, Security.
It has arranged an immensely simple ‘getting started’ procedure, that involves signing into Chromebook with the help of your Gmail account. With its latest updates and super-fast connectivity, saves large amounts of valuable time. Chromebook has its own built-in malware protection that ensures a high level of security. It is also equipped with its auto-update in the background feature, so that users do not have to worry about keeping their PCs up to date.
Brands like Acer, Dell HP, Asus, Lenovo and Samsung have teamed up with Google to build these super functional, multi-task-driven Chromebooks for users all over the world.
What’s new in the Chromebook?
- Built-in firewall protection
Protects the computer against all kinds of malware and external threats.
- Auto-update software feature
So that users never have to worry about scheduling their update according to their work schedule ever again.
- An EVERYTHING button
The one stop search button for everything. You can search anything on your device, files, app, folders, APKs, videos, audios with one click of the button, and Chrome OS will present it to you within seconds.
- Picture-to-picture viewing
For the multitaskers out there, this is your chance to work on that email while watching yet another video from your favourite content creator.
- One step login
Login to your Gmail account and access everything instantly.
Chrome OS keeps its applications separated; to ensure maximum security in case the computer comes under external threat.
- Verified boot
System check-up every time the computer starts.
- Easier usability for people with disabilities
- visual clarity can be enhanced
- Mono audio feature can be accessed for people with hearing issue/impairment
- Spoken feedback tools for people with dyslexia or low vision
- More than one way to enter information into the computer
- Dictation feature enabled
And now, here is a list of the 13 Chromebooks available in USA that are currently topping the charts. But before we get into that, here are some of the advantages and disadvantages Chromebooks have over laptops. These are important to take note of before deciding what’s best for you.
- Most Chromebooks have a 360° flip-and-fold design, or a 360° Hinge, some brands call it, that allows users to choose from the following four modes: Chromebook as a Notebook, stand-up, tent, or tablet.
- Chromebooks usually have full-size backlit keyboards.
- Huge selection of apps from Google Play Store, and a range of Google applications
- Ability to handle multiple applications running on the background without any lagging.
- USB 3.1 Type C port in addition to USB Type A ports, and an audio jack
- Optical drive or CD/DVD drive is not included in Chromebook.
- HDMI ports are usually absent in Chromebooks.
In the following article, keeping in mind these generic features, additional ones of each Chromebook have been meticulously listed. To get help choosing what suits you, go through the following article in detail. By the end, you will know everything about chromebooks to buy the right one for yourself.
Top 13 Chromebooks in the US 2021
HP Chromebook x360 2-in-1 14CCA0053DX
The HP Chromebook x360 2-in-1 stands out in many ways. The first appeal about this Chromebook lies in its 14” touchscreen gorilla glass equipped LED display. A lot of buzz around this Chromebook is owing to its built-in fingerprint reader, and Wide Vision HD webcam. The webcam comes with an integrated dual array digital microphone that will help you get that man-of-the-moment pitch right to your office superiors. Added to this, you get a separate SD card slot for all that memory you will be needing to extend.
- 8 GB SDRAM, 64 GB hard Drive
- Powerful dual speakers
- Runs Linux apps
- Lightweight and easy to carry around
- No case or keyboard cover
- Subscription needed for access to Microsoft products
- Only HP printers work best
- Optical drive not included
HP Chromebook x360 Intel Celeron N4000
The HP Chromebook x360 comes with the amazing Intel Celeron N4000 Processor. Its seamless ceramic finish decked with a full metal keyboard is going to give your colleagues quite the reason to be jealous about. The storage capacity and the RAM in this model is pretty decent as well. 4 GB SDRAM, 32 GB eMMC alongside a huge selection of apps from Google Play Store. Users all over the world have verified that the Chromebook has high durability, so it can survive all the bumps and drops it is going to face in its lifetime.
Amazingly, the best features of HP Chromebook x360 are yet to be listed. But here they are now.
Best of HP Chromebook x360:
- USI universal stylus support
- 14 inches edge-to-edge HD touchscreen display
- Rich audio with Audio by B&O
- Battery life up to 13 hours
- Bluetooth 5 support
- HP Wide Vision HD webcam with integrated dual array digital microphone
- Backlit keys can be hard to see sometimes
HP Chromebook 15-de0042nr
HP Chromebook 15-de0042nr is a sturdy Chromebook choice for engineers and IT employees to consider. Its all day battery life and high speed CPU are the perfect combination for those who survive spending most of their time in front of the screen. The model comes equipped with the 8th Generation Intel® CoreTM Processor. With 8 GB SDRAM, 128 GB eMMC storage, memory features and RAM are better than the best. HP Chromebook 15-de0042nr is enabled with super-speedy Wi-Fi connectivity. For those who are constantly short of digital memory, this model comes with a Digital media card reader.
Below is a list of features that make the HP Chromebook 15-de0042nr even better.
Here are the following:
- Full size numpad
- 15″ FHD micro-edge display
- Rich, authentic audio with dual speakers and HP Audio Boost by B&O
- All day battery life
- CPU speed: 3.4 GHz
- HP Wide Vision HD camera – 88° wide angle field of view
- Weight is somewhat heavy
- Users occasionally have placed their complaints about the touchscreen feature being unreliable
Dell Chromebook 3100 Celeron
Dell Chromebook 3100 has one too many advantages. It is the perfect Chromebook for students. With its 11.6” HD display, 4 GB SDRAM, 16 GB memory capacity, it is equipped with just the necessities of student life. Chromebook 3100 supports LTE WWAN (CAT 9) connection so that learners who live in areas with unreliable networks can keep up with their classes and never have to fall behind.
But this is just a short idea of what students can achieve with this Chromebook. To know its best yet features, just keep reading.
Best of Dell Chromebook 3100:
- Boots in less than 10 seconds
- 14 hours of battery life
- Rigorously tested to endure school pressure and beyond
- Spill and tamper resistant keyboard
- No slot for SD card
- Display is unsatisfactory
Dell Inspiron Intel Core i3-8130U
Dell Inspiron is all about speed and seamlessness. With its 8th generation Intel® CoreTM i3-8130U processor and 4 GB SDRAM, 128 GB flash memory, it is one of the fastest Chromebooks in the market. It has powerful WiFi connectivity that makes it exceptionally easier to get on the Internet and stay ahead on all your work and interests. It is lightweight and easy to carry around. And it has an especially impactful tool that not a lot of Chromebooks come with.
Read on, you shall get to know the best of Dell Inspiron Intel Core i3-8130U:
- Stylus included
- Next generation Wi-Fi 5 Wireless-AC connectivity
- Excellent battery life, serves up to 15+ hours
- 14” HD resolution for endless entertainment
- Supports Linux
- Verified users have complained about trouble with the Wi-Fi
Acer Chromebook Spin 311
This Chromebook is perfect for all the workaholics out there. Apart from an Intel® Celeron N4020 processor, it provides ultra-fast service with its strong, unfaltering wireless signal provided by Intel Gigabit Wi-Fi 5 and a strategically placed wireless antenna. enjoy all your streaming services and monotonous presentations with a 11.6” HD display supported by Antimicrobial Corning Gorilla Glass touchscreen. Its narrow bezels give a super-sleek edge-to-edge display. Alongside two USB 3.1 Type C ports, Spin 311 comes equipped with two USB Type A ports.
Best of Acer Chromebook Spin 311:
- Wide Angle view webcam that supports HDR imaging
- All day battery life up to 10 hours
- With size smaller than an A4 paper, this Chromebook enhances mobility like no one else
- Digital wellbeing enabled.
- MicroSD slot available
- Speakers are not the best quality
- Touchpad can be heard minimally rattling on a few occasions.
Acer Chromebook R 11
Best of Acer Chromebook R 11:
- Lasts up to10 hours on a single charge
- HD webcam
- Built-in Digital Wellbeing
- Edge-to-edge display
- Intel® Celeron N3060 Dual-Core processor
- 11.6” HD 10-point multi-touch screen display
- 4 GB SDRAM and 32 GB eMMC
- Bluetooth 4.0
- Memory speed – 2.48 GHz
- Lightweight and mobility-friendly
- Only certain listed printers work with the R 11
- Certain verified users have had issues with charging
- Touchpad is known to have issues on some devices
ASUS Chromebook Flip C302
Features that make ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 stand out:
- 360° hinge allows Chromebook to go from laptop to stand to tent to tablet mode.
- Boots up within seconds
- Excellent battery life, lasts all day with one time charging (up to 10 hours of video playback)
- Sleek finish and convenient to carry around
- 12.5” FHD touchscreen display
- 8 GB RAM, 4 GB storage capacity
- USB 3.1 Type C port for faster data and power transfer
- Intel® CoreTM Processor
- We couldn’t find any cons! This might be the most flawlessly sound Chromebook to ever exist. No disturbances from any users has ever been reported about the ASUS Chromebook Flip C302.
ASUS Chromebook Flip C434
Best of ASUS Chromebook Flip C434:
- Easy mobility because of its super lightweight and slim design
- 178° Wide-view technology with ultra-narrow bezels that give the benefit of a 14” FHD display in a body as wide as 13”
- 360° Egrolift hinge for using your Chromebook in whatever mode you please
- Enhanced audio performance with dual high quality stereo speaker
- One USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A and two USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C ports
- Equipped with MicroSD card slot
- Up to 10 hours battery life
- All metal design with diamond cut edges
- 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 64 GB eMMC storage
- The fully metallic silver keyboard makes it hard to make out characters
- Touchscreen have been reported to be faulty by a few verified users
- Bluetooth specifications are not mentioned
SAMSUNG Galaxy Chromebook 4
Best of SAMSUNG Galaxy Chromebook 4:
- Gigabit Wi-Fi connectivity
- Long lasting battery life, up to 12 hours
- Immensely durable, curated to handle bumps and drops
- Voice assistant support
- Intel Celeron Processor N4000
- 4 GB SDRAM, 64 GB eMMC storage memory
- 11.6” HD LED display
- Backlit keyboard dims off when not in use
- Extremely responsive keyboard and touchpad facility
- No touchscreen facility
- No external memory card slot
SAMSUNG 2-in-1 Chromebook Plus (V2)
Best of SAMSUNG 2-in-1 Chromebook Plus (V2):
- Built-in pen – ready to write, sketch, edit and take screenshots, and does not require charging
- Dual camera feature – 13 MP camera with autofocus in tablet mode, and front camera for video chatting and meetings
- Mobility-friendly for users due to its sleek design and lightweight features
- Intel Celeron Processor 3965Y
- 12.2” FHD display
- 4 GB SDRAM, 64 GB eMMC storage
- MicroSD slot available
- Bluetooth v4.0
- Battery life up to 10 hours
- Two USB Type-C port, one standard Type-A port, and an audio jack
- Speakers produce muffled audio
- Jittery gaming experience
- Slow booting
Lenovo Flex 3
Features that make Lenovo Flex 3 stand out:
- Ultra-responsive 10-point touch screen
- Boots within seconds
- 720p webcam and two 2W speakers for the perfect video call
- Sleek, stylish and lightweight, easy to carry around for day-to-day activities
- USB Type-C post, HDMI port, USB 3.1, and SD card slot for effortless connectivity
- 4 GB SDRAM, 64 GB storage capacity
- 11.6” touchscreen IPS display
- 10 hours battery life
- Works well with a capacitive stylus
- Does not support Linux applications due to built-in ARM processor
- Lenovo does not provide consistently good customer service
Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5
Best of Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5:
- IPS display provides a wider viewing angle
- Enhanced user-facing stereo speakers so you can vibe to your favourite music
- Decked with the latest Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0 for speedy, reliable connections
- Device can be charged from either side using USB Type-C port
- 13” FHD touchscreen
- Intel 10th Gen i3 Core processor
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
- 4 GB SDRAM, 64 GB eMMC storage
- Up to 10 hours battery life
- Super-fast, super-responsive backlit keyboard dims off when not being used
- Camera is average
- Slightly heavyweight when used in tablet mode
- Unsatisfactory customer service
- Lots of complaints from verified users about the quality of 360° hinge
Comparing Chromebooks on the basis of user preference, price, and battery life:
(high to low)
(high to low)
(high to low)
|Lenovo Flex 3||ASUS Chromebook Flip C302||Dell Inspiron Intel Core i3-8130U|
|Acer Chromebook Spin 311||Dell Inspiron Intel Core i3-8130U||HP Chromebook 15-de0042nr|
|Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5||ASUS Chromebook Flip C434||Dell Chromebook 3100|
|SAMSUNG Galaxy Chromebook 4||HP Chromebook x360 2-in-1 14CCA0053DX||HP Chromebook x360 Intel Celeron N4000|
|Acer Chromebook R 11||Acer Chromebook R 11||SAMSUNG Galaxy Chromebook 4|
|ASUS Chromebook Flip C434||Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5||HP Chromebook x360 2-in-1 14CCA0053DX|
|HP Chromebook 15-de0042nr||SAMSUNG 2-in-1 Chromebook Plus (V2)||Dell Chromebook 3100|
|SAMSUNG 2-in-1 Chromebook Plus (V2)||Dell Chromebook 3100||Acer Chromebook Spin 311|
|Dell Chromebook 3100||HP Chromebook x360 Intel Celeron N4000||Lenovo Flex 3|
|HP Chromebook x360 2-in-1 14CCA0053DX||HP Chromebook 15-de0042nr||ASUS Chromebook Flip C434|
|Dell Inspiron Intel Core i3-8130U||Acer Chromebook Spin 311||Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5|
|ASUS Chromebook Flip C302||Lenovo Flex 3||ASUS Chromebook Flip C302|
|HP Chromebook x360 Intel Celeron N4000||SAMSUNG Galaxy Chromebook 4||Acer Chromebook R 11|
Hope you have gained a fair idea about Chromebooks, their overall functions, pros and cons, and how they would solve your purpose. Have you finally decided what kind of Chromebook you would like to opt for? If yes, then do not linger any longer and go for it! You will not be disappointed.